The Romans Catholics add extra books to the Old Testament.
- 1 Esdras (Vulgate 3 Esdras)
- 2 Esdras (Vulgate 4 Esdras)
- Judith (“Judeth” in Geneva)
- Rest of Esther (Vulgate Esther 10:4 – 16:24)
- Ecclesiasticus (also known as Sirach)
- Baruch and the Epistle of Jeremy (“Jeremiah” in Geneva) (all part of Vulgate Baruch)
- Song of the Three Children (Vulgate Daniel 3:24–90)
- Story of Susanna (Vulgate Daniel 13)
- The Idol Bel and the Dragon (Vulgate Daniel 14)
- Prayer of Manasses (Daniel)
- 1 Maccabees
- 2 Maccabees
Because Roman Catholics cannot argue Bible with a Bible Believer, they must resort to a different tactic. They know that the Mass, Mariolatry, Papal Infallibility, the marriage of church-state, etc are not found in the Bible. So they retort that, “You Protestants wouldn’t have a Bible without the Church.”
I always respond by pretending to agree and that I should join a church that sponsors Crusades, Inquisitions, Gunpowder Plots, and the Ustashe in Croatia killing Serbs. Of course that is sarcasm… But the correct response is that they didn’t give us the Bible, their so-called bible has too many books in it. Which begs the question, “Why don’t we use these extra books?” We need to be informed about the history of these Apocryphal books.
The Roman Catholic Church curses anyone that rejects these extra books.
The Council of Trent declares, “if any one receive not, as sacred and canonical, the said books entire with all their parts, as they have been used to be read in the Catholic Church, and as they are contained in the old Latin vulgate edition; and knowingly and deliberately contemn the traditions aforesaid; let him be anathema.” WHICH MAKES THE CATHOLIC CHURCH THE FIRST SO-CALLED CHURCH TO OFFICIALLY CURSE THE LORD JESUS CHRIST.
- Luke 24:44 – The Old Testament canon according to Jesus Christ. This is the exact three divisions of the Jews to this day. He omits the Apocrypha.
- Romans 3:1,2 – What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision? Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God. The Jews have rejected these writings from the beginning and they always have.
- Acts 17:28 and Titus 1:12 – Paul quotes Aratus of Cilicia and Epimenides (pagan poets), but no one in the New Testament would quote the Apocrypha. To the authors of the Bible, the Apocrypha wasn’t very important.
Reasons why the King James Translators (and any Bible Believer) kept the Apocrypha out of the Old Testament and don’t believe it is Scripture.
- None in Hebrew
- All but a few chapters of the OT were written in Hebrew and the remainder where written in the related language of Aramaic.
- All the Apocrypha were written in Greek and 1 in Latin.
- No writer claims inspiration.
- Never acknowledged by Jews as Scripture.
- From Josephus until today, Jews reject these books.
- Never allowed in canon in first 4 centuries of church.
- Inculcates doctrine at variance with the Bible.
- PRAYERS FOR THE DEAD AND PURGATORY. II Maccabees 12:45b Whereupon he made a reconciliation for the dead, that they might be delivered from sin.
- SINLESS PERFECTION AND IMMACULATE CONCEPTION (Besides of Christ) Wisdom of Solomon 8:19,20 For I was a witty child, and had a good spirit. Yea rather, being good, I came into a body undefiled.
- II Maccabees 12:43 And when he had made a gathering throughout the company to the sum of two thousand drachms of silver, he sent it to Jerusalem to offer a sin offering, doing therein very well and honestly, in that he was mindful of the resurrection:
- Ecclesiasticus 3:30 Water will quench a flaming fire; and alms maketh an atonement for sins
- Teaches immoral practices.
- LYING, See the story of Judith.
- SUICIDE, II Macabees 14:41-43 Now when the multitude would have taken the tower, and violently broken into the outer door, and bade that fire should be brought to burn it, he being ready to be taken on every side fell upon his sword; Choosing rather to die manfully, than to come into the hands of the wicked, to be abused otherwise than beseemed his noble birth: But missing his stroke through haste, the multitude also rushing within the doors, he ran boldly up to the wall, and cast himself down manfully among the thickest of them.
- MAGIC. Tobit 6:4-6 To whom the angel said, Open the fish, and take the heart and the liver and the gall, and put them up safely. So the young man did as the angel commanded him; and when they had roasted the fish, they did eat it: then they both went on their way, till they drew near to Ecbatane. Then the young man said to the angel, Brother Azarias, to what use is the heart and the liver and the gall of the fish?
These truths, when put together, make a water tight argument that the Catholics have added books to the Bible that are not inspired. We reject them and these are the reasons why. The RCC and their Council of Trent can curse us all they want, but, “As the bird by wandering, as the swallow by flying, so the curse causeless shall not come.” Pro 26:2. Their curses mean nothing.
We close with a few quotes from Martin Luther about the Pope:
You are the worst rascal of all the rascals on earth!
Dear God, what an utterly shameless, blasphemous lying-mouth you are!
A natural donkey, which carries sacks to the mill and eats thistles, can judge you – indeed, all creatures can! For a donkey knows it is a donkey and not a cow. A stone knows it is a stone; water is water, and so on through all the creatures. But you mad asses do not know you are asses.